Melee is close quarter physical combat.
In most roguelikes bumping into an enemy with the normal movement interface causes a melee attack.
Melee attacks are typically not guaranteed to hit. The specific mechanics of such combat vary greatly from game to game and these differences are frequently a fundamental feature of the gameplay experience.
Some common considerations when designing a melee system include
- Can they be dodged?
- Are they blockable?
- Can specific body parts be targeted?
- Are there secondary effects from an attack?
- Magical effects might be triggered
- Durability of armor hit might be reduced
- Are there bonuses and/or penalties based on opponents equipment?
- Which stats apply at which stages of the attack?
- Are there stances allowing adjusted chances of hitting, damaging, etc.?