The International Roguelike Development Conference 2016. A unique opportunity for roguelike developers and enthusiasts to network and discuss their genre in depth. Attendance is free and open to all, whether developer, fan, enthusiast, academic, journalist, or wandering vagrant.
This page is for the European' conference. For other roguelikes gatherings this year see:
Init Lab in Sofia, Bulgaria. Rila 6, 1202 Sofia, Bulgaria
(As I have received inquiries on the actual entrance of the building, I'm reposting the longer description here: http://wiki.initlab.org/index.php/InitLabv3#Entrance The entrance is in the alleyway between the 2 buildings (the unfinished one on the left and the one on the right where the Lab is located), and it is the blue door with the old payphone. The Lab is at the second floor of the house. Also note that I intend to meet you somewhere place else that more easily findable (the Lions' Bridge [Lavov most in transliterated Bulgarian] metro station or somewhere similar) and take you to the Lab myself.
Assen "rexorcorum" Kanev [Tales of Maj'Eyal] is host. For all questions and other stuff you can write me at asen(dot)kanev(at)gmail(dot)com. I am regular on the ToME irc channel @Rizon/#tome as "rexorcorum" during the day and evening hours (GMT+2). My phone number is +359885088558, just in case.
Evgeni "Zammy" Petrov is a co-host. I am organizer of the warm-up party and a local game dev meetup. You can contact me at evgeni.i.petrov(at)gmail(dot)com. If anyone is in a dire need of assistance you can call my phone number +359886077252.
- If you plan to attend, please fill in this [Google Form].**
The warm-up party will be held at Puzl (Coworking space). http://coworking.puzl.com/
Address: bulevard "Cherni vrah" 47, 1407 Sofia Phone: +359899696270
Warm-up Party 25 November 2016
Conference 26-27 November 2016
Registration is not necessary, but it helps to know how many people will come. Put your details below with a note on when you're around. (See also the Presentations and Demonstrations section.)
Presentations and Demonstrations
- Darren Grey - 'What is a Rogue?'
- flend - 'Recent procedural generation literature'
- Nicolas "DarkGod" Casalini - topic to be announced later
- Assen Kanev 'Of Textual and Graphical Aesthetics in Roguelikes'
- Patric Mueller - Maybe a talk about how on how to get into the NetHack DevTeam
- Kornel Kisielewicz - Jupiter Hell
Enter your details below if you wish to coordinate with others.
- Patric: Arriving on Friday at 15, leaving on Sunday at 13, staying at Hotel Favorit.
- darkgnostic: Arriving on Friday around 15h, leaving on Sunday at 12h, staying in Derelli Apartment
- Darren: Arriving Friday at 23:00, leaving Sunday at 21:00, staying at Hotel Favorit.
Bulgaria (and Sofia) General Information
- [An independent guide to Sofia that looks really useful]
- [Sofia at Wikitravel]
- [Sofia at LonelyPlanet]
- [Information on Bulgaria and Sofia at Sofia Guide]
Some quick facts and advices (in no particular order)
- The end of November can be cold and wet in Sofia. The forecast for the IRDC weekend thus far is for temperatures between 9 and -2 degrees Celsius, with some rain/drizzle/snow in the mix. So bring appropriate clothing.
- Check the roaming and mobile internet option for Bulgaria with your mobile operator. There are of course numerous free wifi spots in the city, practically everywhere.
- Have a medical insurance - just in any case.
- We're speaking Bulgarian language and use the Cyrillic alphabet. Most younger people do speak (or at least understand) English.
- The currency is Bulgarian lev (BGN), which equals around 0,5 € (the exact number is 1 € = 1,855... BGN) . There are numerous exchange bureaus and bank offices where you can change money. Or use an ATM to withdraw - they are everywhere as well. You'll need Bulgarian money when arriving at the airport for the taxi or metro. The exchange rate at the airport used to be a bit unfavourable, so use an ATM if you can.
- We use Power sockets type F (see here). I (Assen) have adapters for Italian and British sockets, so if somebody needs them, just give me a shout.
Getting In/Out of Sofia
Ryanair and WizzAir do cheap flights to Sofia, Bulgaria. There are also train links across the continent.
Travel Within Sofia
- There is metro, trams and buses in Sofia. Ticket cost 1,6lv (80 euro cents) and it is for one trip only. You can change trains in the metro of course.
- There is a metro line from Terminal 2 of the Airport (Line 1, red). If you land at Terminal 1, there is a shuttle that can get you to Terminal 2. Bus 84 can bring you downtown from Terminal 1.
- Tickets for the buses and trams are bought from the driver and must be validated by perforating them.
- Taxis are relatively cheap and easy to find. If you have internet connection you can use [TaxiMe app] to order taxis. The usual fare is 0,75 - 0,90 lv (0,40 - 0,45 €) per kilometre. Anything with higher fare should be avoided. Some of the major taxi companies are: [OK Supertrans], [Radio SV Taxi], [Yallow Taxi]. In some of the newer cars you can pay with credit/debit card as well.
- Both initLab and Puzl (Coworking space) are on blue line (Line 2) and within 10 min walking distance from the station. For initLab it is the Lavov Most (Lions' Bridge) Station and for Puzl - Vitosha Station.
Parking in Sofia
Who is coming with car anyway? :D - But there are people doing it :) So, here are some useful (and no so much) links:
EDIT: You can also check the Airbnb options, which are cheaper and probably more convenient than the hotels.
Here is a list of the available and affordable hotels. All of them are rated "Very Good" and above at Booking.com and are in the price range of 30 - 60 € per night. All are located at nice places in the centre of Sofia and are close to the venue (some are just nearby - like 5 minutes walk, and some - at about 30 minutes walking distances or 10 - 15 minutes with the metro or the tram). Finally, I have personal experience with nearly half of them and can guarantee they are good :).
- [Favorit Hotel], and at [Booking.com]. Very close to the venue as well, highly rated, includes breakfast
- [L'Opera House] at [Booking.com]
- [Orange Flower Apartments 1] at [Booking.com]
Video streaming equipment is secured. The talks will be live streamed and put on YT later. More details as the event approaches.