|Released||September 1, 2015 (1.0)|
|Updated||May 6, 2016 (1.5)|
|Licensing||Open source (GPLv2)|
|Platforms||Windows, Mac, Linux|
|Interface||Graphical Tiles, Keyboard|
|Official site of Javelin|
Javelin is a free open-source single-player role-playing game written in Java that uses d20 as the rule system – also found in Dungeons and Dragons (versions 3.0 and 3.5) and its successor Pathfinder. It draws heavy inspiration from many other video games, from Jagged Alliance and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup to Pokémon and the Final Fantasy series.
- True artificial intelligence with easily customizeable thinking time!
- Uses a d20 (D&D) variant rule system, balancing classic hack-and-slash with a more dynamic turn sequence!
- A dynamic game world with locations to explore and 6 independent computer factions!
- Party-based gameplay - control one or more squads, not just a single hero!
- You choose how to level up your team!
- In-game help! Either by pressing h or function keys (F1, F2, F3...)! for the game guides.
Click on the images for full-sized versions:
Version 1.5 (2016-05-06)
* Bug-fix release
Version 1.4 (2016-04-30)
* Bug-fix release
Version 1.3 (2016-04-29)
* 6 independent, opposing factions to play against at every game! * City-building, automatic or manual! * Equippable artifacts! * 6 new location types to explore on the world map! * 2 new unique locations: mercenary guild and artificer! * Skill system, featuring 13 different skills! * New units can now be acquired by spending XP * The world map now has to be explored * Dungeon redesign, featuring traps * 137 monsters * 28 items, 33 artifacts * 53 upgrades, 25 spells, 13 skills
Version 1.2 (2016-02-29)
* Minor release in response to community feedback on 1.1 * Improved documentation * Minor bugfixes * Breath area now ignores cover * AI cache is now disabled by default (can slow down some systems)
Version 1.1 (2016-02-26)
* Dungeons! * Vehicles! * Portals! * Tournaments! * The Temple of Haxor! * Many new, randomly-generated battle maps! * Lots of UI and AI improvements! * Each town now has a unique selection of items and upgrades * Towns now take a certain amount of time to craft items and train heroes * In-battle power-ups for special battles * A total of 136 monsters, 27 items, 57 upgrades and 25 spells