Revision as of 00:41, 7 June 2005 by Copx
Lua is a very nice and easy to learn scripting language specifically designed to be embedable and able to represent complex data.
- Clean syntax
- Simple yet extremely powerful and extensible datastructure, the tables, that can be used as hashtables, vectors, arrays, lists, namespaces, objects, ...
- Easily embedable into existing projects
- Very fast
- Can be compiled to bytecode(actaully it always is, but the bytecode can be dumped to a file for later reuse)
- Easy integrated with all languages that can load C libraries (also FreePascal
- Many other nifty things ;)
Lua is probably the most popular scripting language for roguelikes. Some of the projects that use Lua:
- Angband - since 3.0.0 Angband supports Lua scripts.
- ToME - a good part of the engine is in Lua and the game itself will be completly in Lua in the next version.
- H-World - all modding in this engine is done through Lua scripts
- Tower of Doom - limited use of Lua (it is mostly used for dialog scripts)