Near future TO DO or already DONE List =
- no tourMonde() when @ is blocked by a wall
- Re-DONE: fix the restart/animThread bug (add &&!an.getLeJeu().monde.perso.getMort() in TerrainPanel AnimThread while/if)
- 1/2 DONE: "The switch between levels is odd: it takes a long time" pack the save datas in one serializable class instead of a bunch of several very bloody nasty files. Morgoth kicks me. Damn my descendants for seven generations. 1/2 guilt: saving method, the other 1/2 guilt: lack of random generation optimization. I have worked on the first half, the saving feature. It's a bit faster now. I have tried an "everything in one file" method but while it may seems charming it's actually awful for performances (the more maps visited the more heavy the file to manipulate) so i have kept a 1 map/1 file method. I guess a .txt or xml storing method would be faster but i WANT to store objects.
- "If there's only one thing to activate or talk to, don't show a choice dialog." DONE for the chat command. Some others commands may be improved (eg. Activate)
- "The minimap seems to give away the positions of things you can't see." In fact no. The minimap show known position of things. For instance creatures are shown by red dots. The minimap shows the last known position of this creature. If the creature moves while @ don't see it, the minimap will refresh this position only when @ has it in his FOV. It seems to be confusing, it may be a good idea to display only "in FOV" creatures red dots. Try making some pets in a dark room, and then hitting space. Unless I'm mistaken, you can see their dots unreliably move around. Dark red may be a good color for last-known-positions. â€“MT Well, i'll check that. Dark red dots: good idea :) -Crypt
- start adding more complex outdoors generations (=>towns, etc)
- DONE enlarge following creature checked area (when switching between levels)
- delete dead creatures from toGuard arrays (not for Animals)
- add a coward boolean. (sheep=>true) Always setFlee(true) when foe detected. And i guess sheeps should not eat wolves....lol
- several new spells and potions to add in order to take advantage of some recent features : friendship, ventriloquism, catwalk, etc.
- add a taming action ? (using the chat command)
- add some kind of a "I surrender" action (using the chat command) ?
- DONE next level Xps must be balanced.
- DONE Add a graveyard. Corpses of permadead characters can be unearthed...
- DONE Holes in the ground ==> Hole in the ceiling for the corresponding inferior map. You may use a fly spell to go up throw a hole. Holes in the ceiling are displayed using a violet circle.
- DONE Stairs must correspond. A Down stair must lead to an up stair (and vice versa), EVEN when generating random levels.
- DONE enhance random dungeons generation and add random underground rivers.
- DONE friendly creatures can be commanded to attack or to go to a specified point. (as far as the spell of friendship is not yet implemented, this feature can only be used on a summoned dog.)
- DONE auto read when walking "on" signs and tombs
- DONE a drop items when a creature is dead bug to correct.
- DONE to fix: in random dungeons: grounds tiles something cover other objects (mainly walls or doors)
- DONE to add: when walking on a trap without trigering it => display a message
- DONE to add: when seeing a creature opening a door => display a message
- DONE to fix : when unearthing permadeads => the tomb should be emptied (in current version an infinite number of skeletons can be unearthed) (use ecrit.setNomCadavre(null))
- to add: spells of friendship, guardian, lethe, aura of fear(livings only) and vade retro(undeads only).
- to add: lethe potion
- to fix: trade prices
- to fix: firebolt tends to be too powerfull too quickly (=> and too huge damages when hiting unaware creatures)
- to add: boots, amulets, helmets, gauntlets, shields, rings.
- Maybe done....(hard to reproduce) to fix: the "On ground" panel sometimes flickers.
- DONE to fix: load character which has not leave the first map => 2 characters in map 0,0,0
- DONE to fix: because of the restart/animThread bug fix , the animation of a bolt which kills @ is not fully displayed.
- DONE Santient and fine manipulators creatures who has nothing else to do may pick up not immediatly usefull items.
- DONE but some probably remains some optimizations
- DONE to add: display effects durations (right panel)
- 1/2 DONE to modify: the effects icons display method. (in order to add a greater number of effects.)
- to add: teleport fumble, and spell casting fumble in general (grevious fumbles could lead to demons invocations, etc...)
- to add: autotarget
- 1/2 DONE to improve: Strategical Scale Editor coasts painting.
- buy a lantern, kill morgoth
Far Future TO DO list:
- a lot.
Would be good if settings were remembered across sessions. Noted. Maximising the window doesn't make the controls expand to the available space. Noted Cool. It would be great if the controls resized to match the window. Then the window could be made smaller so something else could be displayed next to it or bigger to make full use of the screen. Doing this would also make the game playable on 800*600. New lines are added when the log textbox is made bigger. yes, it's a known little trouble i didn't fix yet. DONE If rain is turned off it seems to display at the outside of the map. For example, going inside for the first time and then all the way to the left will show rain to the left edge of the view. i guess you mean that (?) =  Aye DONE Is it not possible to release a shovel that's broken? I couldn't figure out how to do that. Oups...bug. The game seems to pause when moving between areas? That seems a bit unneccessary. In fact this is a temporary way to prevent the program to memorize the movements keys stroke when the character leave the current level if the player keep pressing these (=> without that, @ would move just after entering the new level.) Yes, i will improve that, it's was just a temporary solution which used the "Press Space" listener i added for others aspects of the game. On the first map, at the top left of the crypt, the alchemy table appears to go under the wall. Noted Would it be possible to store the sound files in MP3 format instead of WAV? They make the download really massive and take up lots of space. I'd like to. But i haven't found yet a good way to use MP3 in Java.
Icey 20:21, 10 Oct 2006 (CEST)
Thanks ;) Crypt-
As i made several major modifications in v0.6652, new minor bugs appears => DONE Creatures sometimes moves out of play area DONE Creatures FOV is blocked by transparent obstacles (windows, fences, etc. It should not) 1/2 DONE @'s tile appears over trees and columns. He should not. I will modify the render method in order to split the display of each type of object without losing performance. DONE Some bugs reported by Icey. (the shovel and the rain bug) - Crypt -
In v0.6674 i've also done :
- creatures and @ can fly and throw things over fences
- i've remade the terrain display method.
- A bit more epitaph informations (birth date - death date)
- Fix the "number of KeyListeners after death" problem.
- i've start to code what i call a Strategical scale map editor (as opposed to the local tactical map editor which create predefined maps, the SSME will be used to force the type of local random generation.) Next step will be to code the related outdoor random generators...
- DONE to fix : in ASCII mode, blood on ground is no more displayed (red dots)
Several new features and modifications, mainly about the Strategical Map Editor. This editor is used to force local random outdoors generations. It uses 2 types : Natural & Cultural.
Natural types are: Unknown (=> random) Plain Forest Mountain Desert Coast Sea Swamp
(Automatic coasts orientation is still to be improved in the editor.)
Each creature now have a naturalType field which is used to determine if the random generator can use it in the local map. (eg. Swamp monsters can be found in swamps but not in mountains, etc.)
Cultural Types are: Wilderness (no cultural influence) Village City Ruin Fields
Both types are combined.
Note: the cultural classes are not yet implemented. They will also use several building classes (still to be done): Cabin Farm Rich house Poor house Store Inn Tavern Guard Post Palace Stable (==> horses) Cemetary Special dungeon entrances (sewers, surface caves, etc) Harbour building (==> ships)
The strategical map can now be displayed ingame (key 'm'.) Obviously it only shows visited local maps.
--- LANGUAGE As you may have noticed, english translations ingame are not always very good. If you find any poorly made sentence ingame, tell me, thanks.
(i do not speak about automatically made sentences related to badly choosen item names, sometimes an item is called "A xxxx", while another item is called "xxxxx." To choose better item names is on my TODO list.)
0.6713 random Villages, buildings dev, etc.... started. random dungeons tiles are influences by the natural type of the corresponding X,Y,0 (outdoor) level. (swamps, sea, desert, mountain, ...) This influence decreases the more @ go deep in the dungeon. I will probably do the same thing with the randomly selected monsters of the dungeon map.
- DONE A new funny bug to fix: pets no more recognise @ if he leaves a map without them (and go back.) cf: 2
0.6731 the serialisation/recognise items bug has been fixed smooth animation movements for the creatures has been added. (can be turned off/on) It's turned on by default because, IMO, the result is pleasant, even in a turn by turn game. (animations are boosted when several turns pass quickly) shields has been added.
(small list of) NEXT TO DO: DONEfleeing creatures should be able to use stairs, still to do : and leave map by the sides or fly up. DONEVoid squares should not automatically kill. => Falling to inferior levels and getting damages according to the number of levels and the surface still to do: (water=> less damage) rings, amulets, boots, capes, wands, helmets, gloves & their related potential magical effects (as well as curse effects...) several improvements and bug reports listed here to make/fix keep coding random buildings generators
- DONE To fix : ......releasing shield or taking off armor no more decrease defense bonus
0.6747 a lot of minor and less minor fixes @ and creatures now fall in empty (sky) squares, from levels to levels creatures can flee using stairs and close creatures can follow them (if they are ennemies or guards)
- DONE to fix: several minor multiple simultaneaous keylisteners bugs identified. (this is why i've add a "number of KeyListeners" error message ingame) Luckily this will be easy to fix.
0.6762 added a + when there are several items on a square about friends, possessions and to guard items : now when an item is stolen or someone's killed, guardians/friends/owner will accuse the closest being.(closest to the last known item location or the current corpse location)
- DONE in 0.6763 Note for myself => in cities and villages , majority of inhabitants could be friends to each other. This way mass murders won't be easily unpunished. If (some) guards protected inhabitants, they will automatically be hostile to beings who attack inhabitants. (note: a guard protecting every inhabitant will patrol everywhere in the city)
- DONE in 0.6763Note: murder's checks should also use the toGuard list, not only the friends list.
0.6779 A* Pathfinding added. I like the result :)
The player can switch it off/on. When it's switch off an alternate homemade and far less effective pseudo-pathfinding is used instead. Out of screen creatures can be desactivated if the player wishes to (if he uses a low end CPU.) An option switches this automatically ON in cities (this means creatures out of screen are not active in cities but this features can be desactivated if a hi-end CPU is used.) Settings can be saved. They are automatically loaded and can be reset to default values. check boxes are now used for settings.
0.6802 Cities and villages traders are now specialised Some pathfinding difficulties solved (about blocked paths. It can still occurs sometime in special cases) Humans, Goblinoids, Dragons, Elves and Dwarves are named. (no elf nor dwarf yet but their classes are ready.) several cities enhancements. (generator fixed, walls around city, etc.) several AI enhancements. cities and villages inhabitants go home at night. farlook shows all items in a square, not only the last one. etc...
16/10/07: I'm back after nearly a year :)
next couple of months to do list:
- new spells, potions, scrolls, etc.
- belts, amulets, gauntlets, etc.
- improve existing creatures
- new creatures
- balance effects (eg. traps bought from outdoor (y:0) merchants tend to be too weak)