|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (email@example.com)|
|Influences||NetHack, Diablo, Age of Wonders|
|Released||Oct 27, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||Nov 26, 2013 (R 16.04)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Interface||ASCII or Tiles|
|Game Length||10+ hours|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a real-time roguelikelike (a game that is not quite a roguelike). Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but the spatial system is not grid-based, which is the case with nearly all other roguelikes. Aside from the primitive character display, the game has modern effects.
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack-'n'-slash games like Diablo and NetHack, developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom (although a recent update allows you to join him and seek his release instead).
It still has a few roguelike features: the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures, random dungeon generation, permadeath, etc. Like the major roguelikes, the player is almost completely at the mercy of the RNG.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over five years ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items, and many new classes and spells. A recent update also added a deity system and the ability to use tiles.
The game includes an ingame 'wikipedia' help system which users can edit or look things up in.
Triangle Wizard Day
If one chooses to play the game on the 27th of October the player character receives special bonuses, like a bonus talent, a unique item called the Triangle Wizard Hat and resistances. Monsters will also randomly wear Triangle Wizard hats and the player can reach a special level where a the monsters celebrate the anniversary of the game itself granting the player an additional free talent. Only on this day it is possible to obtain the legendary Triangular Ring unique item.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Major Update (R 16.01)
- Information about the location of the Trollmire and the Dark Days Ahead levels can now be correctly obtained via a Sanctified Shrine.
- Fixed some issues with the font in the inventory.
- Added the 'item_fix' console command to retrieve objects that are outside the level.
- Trolls now correctly deal high damage in melee.
- Added the Cro-Magnon and Salientian races.
- Added the Paragon class.
- Fixed a small problem with the initial spell keybinding of the Zombie Lord.
- Zombie Lord's Infection spell now correctly regenerates and starts at level two.
- Fixed a bug in the Necromancer transformation handler which could affect spell damage.
- Mechayon is now immune to the Infection spell.
- Oozemaster's Slimeform now lasts 30 seconds regardless of level, allowing for better timing.
- Added the Werewolf race.
- Increased the power of the Totemic Whisperer's familiar.
- Fixed a problem with followers of Zenithar having to pay for stuff in non-shop levels. Zenithar shop functionality now takes a few seconds to be available after level start.
- Excruciating Demisatisus disease now has a chance to make the victim explode when it ends.
- Trolls now have slower casting speed instead of slowed spell regeneration.
- Some levels are no longer square.
- Fixed a bug in the level generation logic which could generate levels which are not connected.
- Fixed a very rare bug that could crash the game while worshipping Zenithar.
- Items which 'on-cast' effects now correctly work when equipped on an ally.
- You can now ask allies to unequip and drop their item by pressing PageUp on top of them (the same key you use to give items with).
- Fixed a bug whereby equipping an ally with an item, killing them, resurrecting them and equipping them again etc. would lead to infinite stats.
- Fixed a typo in Captain Jack's Compass.
- Added five new unique creatures.
- Added a little something for Triangle Wizard day (the fifth anniversary).