Empires of Eradia: The Cataclysm of Chaos
|Empires of Eradia: The Cataclysm of Chaos|
|Influences||Too many to count|
|Released||Sept 12, 2018 (Alpha V13)|
|Updated||July 15, 2020 (Alpha V42)|
|P. Language||Python 2.7 and Libtcod|
|Interface||ASCII, Keyboard, Partial Mouse|
|Game Length||countless hours, designed for multiple playthroughs|
|[n/a Official site of Empires of Eradia: The Cataclysm of Chaos]|
I have a discord now: https://discord.gg/Qthezuh (invite is set to not expire, so hopefully it won't)
A great rift has appeared in the Human monarchy, spewing forth vile creatures. You enter the rift, where the laws of the material plane do not necessarily apply. You must close the rift, and escape, but is there really a way out? You'll just have to find out!
- Can play however you like, as either a lethal mage, a stealthy martial expert, or perhaps as a complete pacifist; can even mix-match abilities to create your own playstyle.
- Anyone can cast spells, use any item, or perform any action, however, only those who specialize into something will be good at it.
- Unique permadeath, resulting from achieving too much stress. This allows players to learn from their mistakes, correct them, and eventually succeed.
- Profile system, that allows you to achieve progression between playthroughs. This ensures that even if you go insane in a playthrough, you'll still have acquired some progression that will help the next run.
- Played as a sandbox infinite dungeon crawler, where the player pursues their own goals and creates their own story, trying to achieve one of many victory conditions.
- Has large battlefields, rather than rooms, with various tactical opportunities to handle the myriad of foes trying to kill you.
- Primal Chaos foes increase in difficulty as you kill them and monsters increase in difficulty if you stay on a level for too long.
- Comes with a series of Interactive Tutorials and a Help Directory (neither complete though), to help new players and returning players understand game mechanics and be successful.
- Has a Journal menu, that stores all of the game's lore that is optional to read; this allows those who want to just hack and slash to do so, but also allows those who want to be immersed in lore, to be immersed!
- You must serve as entertainment for the Chaos God; if you don't they will make things harder for you. This effectively works like a food clock, but without the annoyances of instant death if it runs out.
- Can find optional lootables that offer a risk v reward; biome specific interactables and Chaos Strongboxes. The reward is great (+5 to one attribute or a rare consumable, respectively), but the risk hurts!
- The game gets progressively more difficult based on accumulated Chaos. Every 100 points increases difficulty level (which affects portal spawn rates and enemy stats) and persists between levels.
- Chaos is accrued by killing or knocking out foes and whenever the Chaos God grows bored of you. It cannot be reduced, and only gets worse as you progress farther, building tension. It will clear on death however.
- Has an Objectives menu, with a series of objectives that grant a reward for completion. Complete all objectives in a set, and earn the Completionist, which gives even better rewards.
- You earn new Objectives every 3rd floor (1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, etc), giving the player an unlimited number of objectives to complete and encourages the player to go deeper and deeper into the game.
- Bosses and Artifacts are now in, providing more of the endgame content!
- You can now win the game, and you can track your progress towards Victory conditions in the Trials Menu (Shift + 4). Can work towards many different Victories, and this progress is retained between playthroughs!
- You can now encounter Traps ($). Can be triggered by both player or monsters and will reset after 30 turns.
- You can now encounter Secret Areas (!). When you get within 15 squares of one (can track multiple at a time), a message appears stating approximate direction and distance from you. Each gives a great reward!
- Completely rebuilt the map generation code. Maps generate nearly instantly now, are easier to modify and add/remove elements, and are persistent until you die, allowing you to revisit old areas!
- Added a Credits, Changelog, and Known Issues sub-menu to the Main Menu. Also the version of the game is now listed at the Main Menu!
- Added a consistent color theme to the message log. Now you can at a glance tell if the message is worthwhile to read. May tweak later, as needed.
- Reduced the message log spam and have implemented Round Updates that tell you in general what happened in that round. A lot of different things can happen, and this keeps the player informed without spamming!
- Can change the Element of your Techniques and it remembers your choice. Each Element is powerful in their own right and each is situationally useful to use.
- Rare consumable items now are automatically added to your Satchel, so that you never run the risk of missing out on one of these awesome items.
- Added a Look Around command (Shift + /?). While active, any enemies in Field of View will be highlighted. Useful for detecting that hard to see enemy. Doesn't count as a turn to use!
- Added an Information Window (HOLD Ctrl or Alt as indicated by the game). Provides extended information of the object under your mouse. Doesn't count as a turn to use!
- Added a Keybindings menu by holding `~ or \| keys.
- Added a Root Menu by hitting either Enter keys.
- Item Comparison is now possible in the Inventory. Just hover over an item with the mouse to see it's stats.
- Full mouse support is now available in all menus and all bugs related to hacked mouse support have been fixed.
- Can now use Shift to capitalize your name in Name Input and have middle and/or last names.
- Primal Chaos and Treasure Fiends suffer a fight/flight response, when brought to 50% or less HP for the first time, making them significantly nastier threats or significantly harder to kill.
- Melee foes now get multiple movement per turn, allowing them to close the distance to the player, so watch out! If they are in melee range, they will attack and end all of their movement.
- Auto-Pickup is now a thing. Grabs everything automatically under you and adjacent to you. Radius is increased by every 20 Spellcasting mastery and/or Greater Rune of the Rogue.
- You can now batch craft (ie make more than one item in a single action) alchemy and equipment items! When you have 3x the needed resources, the game prompts you for how many you want to craft.
- Created a brand new Fabrication system for creating Epic Items and Artifacts with Runic Shards.
- Salvaging artifacts now gives you the Artifact recipe and the Artifact's legendary rune!
- You can now load old profile files into the game. Simply copy your profile file from the previous version, into the game directory of the new version to retain your long-term gameplay progress!
- Portals are fully functional now, can be entered, closed, and then deactivated. Monsters only spawn from active portals, and monster spawning has been completely redesigned!
- The game's balance of intensity and calmness is significantly better, than the last 10 builds. I personally, really like the change of pacing!
- ... and much more! (will update this list in the future; last updated May 7, 2019)
[LATEST UPDATE TO THIS INFORMATION = June 24th, 2019; Information re-arrange is fine by me!]
Here is the 3 month update on Roguelikes = https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/gfok9b/update_on_my_roguelike/ (Posted back in May)
I will be creating further changes to my development cycle, and will post a link here, when that is done. Link = https://www.reddit.com/r/EmpiresOfEradiaCOC/comments/h973j0/development_going_forward_from_v40/
Current Latest build is Alpha V42 (as of July 15, 2020), and a binary file can be acquired from this link (windows 64-bit only at the moment) = https://www.mediafire.com/file/8qo2yoje2qaesss/Binary_V42.zip/file
According to RogueBasin, my title would be classified here as Beta. It is quite stable, playable, and fun, but it is missing a lot of the endgame-related stuff, which is why I consider the game to still be in Late Alpha status. I try to do 2 week releases (weekly releases were pushing me towards burnout), and participate in Sharing Saturday on RoguelikeDev subreddit, so if I forget to upload here, then you can visit Sharing Saturday OR my subreddit and grab the latest build there. The reason for the name change is primarily to avoid confusion with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead!
I also now have a subreddit for my game! https://www.reddit.com/r/EmpiresOfEradiaCOC/ (If you can't post for some reason, send me a PM). I also try to keep everyone in the loop on my subreddit, so if you want more frequent updates on progress, visit it!
I am looking for feedback on the game; bugs, suggestions, problems run into, etc. I would really love it if people had feedback and gave it, as it really helps me to know that if a player is having an issue that I want to try and solve it. That is why I often release hotfixes; someone reports an issue and I solve it and release a hotfix.
I can be reached by PM on reddit (I'm Palandus) or by email: email@example.com. I'll try to remember to update the RogueBasin as I release new builds. I use Pyinstaller to build the game, and as I only have access to Windows, I can only build for Windows.
Current Known Issues
Most of these will get addressed once I reach Beta status (well my impression of Beta, not roguebasin's; I consider the game to be Late Alpha). Once I reach Beta, I'll be more focusing on balancing, story implementation, and implementing feedback from players, so I'll have more time/energy to focus on other game issues, such as these issues below:
BUGGED SCREEN = If you launch the game and the window doesn't look right, try using fullscreen mode (ALT+ENTER) and then exiting fullscreen mode with the same keybind, should fix the issue. The issue has been reported by some users, while others haven't encountered it. I am looking into providing resolution scaling, which should in theory solve this issue, but haven't currently had the time to research how to implement resolution scaling, except that I know that libtcodpy does offer resolution scaling.
CROSS COMPILING = I am looking into determining how to cross-compile binary builds for Linux / MacOS, and am hoping to have it ready before I reach Beta status. If I figure it out in a day or two, then I'll upload the builds immediately. Thus far I've not figured out how to do so yet.
32 BIT BINARIES = I have tried to compile the game as 32bit (had to download a 32 bit version of python 2.7 and a 32 bit version of the libtcod.dlls), but it appears portions of my menu code requires 64-bit, and thus I haven't been able to successfully create a 32-bit version of the game without a significant amount of problems being in the build.
List of Currently Missing Features
- Primal Chaos Abilities
- Rare Portals
- Boss Abilities
- Milestones (important for multiple playthroughs)
- Main story and Side stories
- Better Menus (specifically working mouse support)
- Interface Overhaul
- Pacifist Playstyle Overhaul
- Create your own Custom Techniques
- And more (will update list later)
List of Partially Implemented Features
- Traps and Environmental Dangers (Close to completion)
- Endings, and End Goals Menu
- Artifacts (Need to implement Artifact Runes)
- Help Directory and Interactive Tutorial Series
- Uniquely useful Techniques
- Unique Biomes with their own specific challenges
- Elements and Elemental Protection (Close to completion)
- Auditory and Visual Hallucinations (Need sound effects for Audiotory, and need archer/mages for Visual)
- Legendary Runes and Empowered Runes
- And more (will update list later)