Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Influences||D&D, d20. Tyrant|
|Released||September 1, 2015 (1.0)|
|Updated||July 15, 2016 (1.6)|
|Licensing||Open source (GPLv2)|
|Platforms||Windows, Mac, Linux|
|Interface||Graphical Tiles, Keyboard|
|Game Length||Very long (faster with strategic combat mode)|
|Official site of Javelin|
Javelin is a free and open-source single-player strategy RPG game written in Java, based on open-gaming rules – similarly to Dungeons and Dragons (versions 3.0 and 3.5) and its successor Pathfinder. It draws heavy inspiration from many other video games, from Jagged Alliance and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup to Pokémon and the Dragon Quest series.
Javelin doesn't aim to be a rogue-clone but draws heavy inspiration from roguelikes as much as JRPGs and classic turn-based strategy games. If follows the vast majority of the points found in the Berlin Interpretation, while also departing from a few of the major established guidelines there.
- True artificial intelligence with easily customizeable thinking time!
- Loosely based on open-gaming rules, balancing classic hack-and-slash with a more dynamic turn sequence!
- A dynamic game world with locations to explore and 6 independent computer factions!
- Party-based gameplay - control one or more squads, not just a single hero!
- You choose how to level up your team!
- In-game help! Either by pressing h or function keys (F1, F2, F3...)! for the game guides.
Version 1.6 (2016-07-15)
* New locations: 7 temples, 11 mage guilds, troves and mines! * New starting locations: Training Hall and Adventurers Guild! * New unique locations: Summoning Circle and Pillar of Skulls! * Around 50 new monsters! * New end-game goal: bring the 7 Relics to Haxor! * All game images can now be easily modified! (mod/skin support) * New damage effects: poison, paralysis, fear * Burrow movement * New item type: wands * New skills: use magic device and heal * New transport: sailing ship * More realistic, dynamic land movement * Seasons, new terrains and terrain features * Town workers let you build roads, settlements and more * Player units can now be set to automatic (controlled by AI) * New party option: strategic combat (skips random encounters) * Preferences and command keys can now be edited in-game * In-game journal for taking notes * More information on errors, for easier bug reporting * Improved save system, also creates automatic backups * AI system now monitors thinking speed and corrects itself if slow * 183 monsters * 47 items, 12 artifacts * 63 upgrades, 49 spells, 13 skills * 22 battle maps
Version 1.5 (2016-05-06)
* Bug-fix release
Version 1.4 (2016-04-30)
* Bug-fix release
Version 1.3 (2016-04-29)
* 6 independent, opposing factions to play against at every game! * City-building, automatic or manual! * Equippable artifacts! * 6 new location types to explore on the world map! * 2 new unique locations: mercenary guild and artificer! * Skill system, featuring 13 different skills! * New units can now be acquired by spending XP * The world map now has to be explored * Dungeon redesign, featuring traps * 137 monsters * 28 items, 33 artifacts * 53 upgrades, 25 spells, 13 skills
Version 1.2 (2016-02-29)
* Minor release in response to community feedback on 1.1 * Improved documentation * Minor bugfixes * Breath area now ignores cover * AI cache is now disabled by default (can slow down some systems)
Version 1.1 (2016-02-26)
* Dungeons! * Vehicles! * Portals! * Tournaments! * The Temple of Haxor! * Many new, randomly-generated battle maps! * Lots of UI and AI improvements! * Each town now has a unique selection of items and upgrades * Towns now take a certain amount of time to craft items and train heroes * In-battle power-ups for special battles * A total of 136 monsters, 27 items, 57 upgrades and 25 spells