|Wouter van den Wollenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|NetHack, Diablo, Age of Wonders
|Oct 27, 2008 (R 1.01)
|Sep 20, 2023 (R 18.02)
|Freeware, Closed source
|Game Maker Language
|ASCII or Tiles
|Official site of Triangle Wizard
Triangle Wizard is a real-time roguelite. It combines an ASCII character art style with vector graphics and visual special effects.
The gameplay is reminiscent of Diablo, especially the first one, but is a lot less forgiving and contains many more random elements. Two major things it retains are the shrines which can permanently change your character (sometimes in a bad way), and the random item generation based on prefixes and suffixes along with socketed items and unique items. Also, the quests (apart from the main quest) only have a certain probability to show up meaning not every quest will be available in every game. In addition, there are also some short randomly generated quests available which are usually risky but have good rewards.
It contains a large variety of monsters, bosses, and unique creatures. And also many races and classes to play. Most levels are randomly generated, including some quest levels. Non-random levels are reserved for the boss encounters. There are also some random special levels that may appear in some games, like the Tournament (where dungeon denizens fight for the favor of their boss) or the Hall of Mirrors (where all projectiles bounce on walls). When leveling up (and via different methods) talents can be obtained which can change your character or spells in unique ways, for example allowing you to use your Fireball spell as a mine, or accompanying the Teleport spell with a Shockwave spell.
There is a particular focus on interaction with the environment. Walls can be destroyed (sometimes revealing hidden rooms), water and lava can affect and be affected by magic, and knocking creatures into spikes hurts them. Water can be tainted (which will spread over time) and there are many more such interactions. There are also interactions between spells allowing one for example to counter or reflect spells.
The game also features a fully-fledged deity system with a large number of deities to worship or offend. Each of them offers unique boons or banes (if you anger them). Disciples to deities can be found in the dungeon and some items might be dedicated to certain gods. Allies can also be found to join the player and can be given items to use. They can also be given complicated commands using a tactics screen (while the game is paused).
The main story involves the player attempting to invade Castle Everdoom and slay its evil master, the Nameless One. However this story can be changed depending on player choices (you can for example worship the Nameless One), and multiple different endings are possible.
If the player is killed his or her corpse can return in a later play-through as an ally or foe and part of the corpse's equipment may be retrieved.
There is an in-game wikipedia-esque help system called the Trianglopedia which (with a toggle) can also display spoilers.
Triangle Wizard 2
The game has a sequel, Triangle Wizard 2.
Triangle Wizard Day
If one chooses to play the game on the 27th of October the player character receives special bonuses, like a bonus talent, a unique item called the Triangle Wizard Hat and resistances. Monsters will also randomly wear Triangle Wizard hats and the player can reach a special level where a the monsters celebrate the anniversary of the game itself granting the player an additional free talent. Only on this day it is possible to obtain the legendary Triangular Ring unique item.
Latest Major Update (R 18.01)
- Added message in new game screen that R can be used to generate a new character.
- Added new player advice to new game screen.
- Restructured information under F1 menu.
- Added floating tutorial messages to help out new players during their first few levels. Can be disabled in the options menu.
- Spell list menu no longer has help text on top of spell text and the spell list is more condensed.
- Made it more clear to which item the glowing effect of powerful and cursed items in the shop screen belows to.
- Anarchy and Charm no longer affect quest givers.
- Resurrected or animated creatures lose their quest giver and boss statuses.
- A small message float now reminds the player they are exhausted when they try to cast spells or melee when exhausted.
- Daelan the Tinkerer will no longer incorrectly follow and join your party.
- Made the code that randomly places quest creatures in dungeons more stable.
- Stamina now regenerates during inital level entry invulnerability, but you can no longer sprint during this interval.
- Removed mention of using the mouse for movement in the tutorial.
- Updated the message in the tutorial on how melee combat works.
- You no longer lose stamina if you try to sprint whilst being knocked-back.
- Sprinting no longer drains double the stamina if you move diagonally.
- There is now an on-screen warning when you get hit (you can switch this on/off in the options).
- Greatly expanded monster and player name generation possibilities.
- Using Dismissal on objects in the shop will now anger the shopkeeper and increase your hate.
- Added a tip of the moment to the main menu.
- A warning will now display in the GUI if you try to melee or cast spells when exhausted. Hopefully this will make this less obscure to new players.