RogueBasin talk:Community Portal
Articles unnecessarily protected.
Several pages are marked as protected and it's unclear why. You can see them here. There no specified reason, I couldn't find any indications of abuse, and some of the discussions concluded that the protection was accidental and that admins weren't able to get around to resolving them at the time. It's obvious why Main Page and Featured roguelike would be protected, but I think protections should be removed from all other pages unless a reason can be given. --HexDecimal (talk) 07:26, 22 June 2021 (UTC)
- It seems most of these came from a rgrd thing where people would agree to share their articles in roguebasin but specified they didn't want edits. I will dig into it and put the real cause if that's the case. --Slash (talk) 16:19, 22 June 2021 (UTC)
- I didn't realize that. It's unfortunate that several of those pages have minor errors which can't be fixed. If that's the case then I think it'd have been better to have external links to the original articles instead of mirroring them on the wiki, or at least segregate them in some way that makes it clear that they aren't normal wiki pages.
- I found the RGRD Wiki Project page which mentions that the pages would be protected. These pages were supposed to have the author info in a small template but that seems to be missing from the protected pages I checked. --HexDecimal (talk) 22:31, 22 June 2021 (UTC)
Can't upload new images.
I wanted to upload a new image example for Scrolling map but I receive the following error when I attempt to upload it:
- Could not open lock file for "mwstore://local-backend/local-public/c/c8/Camera_vectors.png". Make sure your upload directory is configured correctly and your web server has permission to write to that directory. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Manual:$wgUploadDirectory for more information.
--HexDecimal (talk) 00:41, 22 August 2021 (UTC)
- I get that error too. Sorry, not something I can help with. Could be connected to the upgrade in July. Slash, can you look into this please.-Muscles (talk) 02:24, 12 September 2021 (UTC)
That Role Playing
Hi, my name is Eugenia, we'd like to add our released game That Role Playing to RogueBasin database of RL games.
Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1673180/That_Role_Playing/ Released: 21 Oct 2021
- Please feel free to create a game page for it, it looks relevant for roguebasin. Thanks! --Slash (talk) 14:44, 8 November 2021 (UTC)
- I've created the page. Thank you! --Enginya 05:19, 9 November 2021 (UTC)
False assumption on the front page
“Modern traditional roguelikes often shun this aspect, in favor of accessibility for less hardcore players.” This statement makes a generalizing and false assumption. Popular modern roguelikes like DCSS, Qud and ToME certainly don’t use graphics as an accessibility feature, nor are these graphics in any way a hindrance to “The True Experience”, as a genre gatekeeper would suggest. Qud in particular is fantastically enhanced via its graphics. It leaves others in the dust when it comes to art style and UX design. Definitely not a mere accessibility feature meant as scrap for the dogs. Let’s excise this subjective and obviously loaded language from the front page.